Open Gold Expeditions
Singles or Groups Gold Exped, Dartmoor
Sunny Devon ‘our home and base’
Spirit of Adventure resides at the famous Powder mills, the perfect position for us to monitor and support your groups, whether they are out on the North or South Dartmoor.
Dartmoor is our backyard and our instructors are local and know and understand the terrain here so well. They have a real passion about this fantastic wild area of the Southwest. Many are members of the Dartmoor Rescue Group.
All of the ‘Spirit of Adventure’ DofE instructor team are ML/MML qualified , First Aid trained, DBS checked and have many years of valuable experience working with young people in the outdoors .
Open Gold Qualifying Expeditions
How It Works
The route planning for the expedition will be done over e-mail prior to the start of the expedition. We will give you grid references for each campsite and assign you a day to route plan. We will also ask you to decide on the aim of your expedition.
You will arrive on Sunday evening and have a chance to get to know each other, staying in the bunkhouse.
On Monday we will have a quick refresher on navigation, go through emergency procedures and have a final look at the routes before having a practice camp out.
The expedition will commence on Tuesday morning and finish on Friday afternoon. There is then time to have a shower before we have our celebratory meal where you will also give your presentation. The bunkhouse will be available for you to stay that night and depart on Saturday morning.
What we provide
- Pre expedition information pack containing all you will need to know, e.g. kit lists
- Bunkhouse accommodation for the first and last night of the expedition week. This means that you are able to meet you new team mates in relaxed comfortable surroundings and gives us a base to fine tune the detail of the expedition
- Celebratory meal on last night (parents/friends are welcome to join us and stay over for £25 per person)
- Camping fees whilst on the expedition
- Supervision whilst out on expedition
- Accredited assessors who will work with you to help you complete your expedition
What you need to arrange
- Transport to and from Powdermills - we can also arrange to be picked up and dropped off if you are using public transport. This will incur a small extra cost to cover fuel.
- All you own food (with the exception of the last night celebratory meal)
- All personal equipment as shown on the kit list (we do have kit that you may be able to borrow so please discuss this before the start of the expedition)
Course Facts and Figures
The cost of the expedition is £259
Dates will be arranged for a mutually convenient time.
Before you book you must be
- Enrolled on to the Gold DofE Award and be aged 16-25
- Have completed a training programme and practice expedition. We will require to see evidence of this prior to the start of the expedition.
- a group of a minimum number of 4.
Please give us a call or email us if you have any questions concerning the expedition.